Another manager. Gone.
Well done Southampton for sacking the manager who got you back-to-back promotions, and has lost just one of the last seven in the Premier League, including coming from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 at Stamford Bridge. Real stupid decision there.. To add to it, I think as well as your fans turning against you, a lot of the country will now look down on you and despise you.
Of course we wish Mauricio Pochettino all the best, because there isn't anything he's done wrong, it's down to the Board, but it will be hard for him to win the respect of the fans and the players; just look at Rafa Benitez at Chelsea...
Another managerial shift was at Blackburn, where Henning Berg lasted 57 days, before being sacked and replaced by who Michael Appleton, who was appointed at Blackpool just 65 days ago after Ian Holloway left for Crystal Palace.. I think it was wrong of Blackburn to tempt him away from Blackpool, and even more wrong for Appleton ot take the job, but hey-ho.. (That good enough Dan?)
Anyway, rant over! FA Cup replays are over, and no shocks or surprises unfortunately.. Bournemouth were defeated by Wigan, and Fulham left it late to overcome Blackpool, but that is all forgotten now as clubs look ahead to the next round...
Oh, and happy 150th to the FA.
Football aside, there were 2 other sports that made big headlines this week (yes, I do navigate away from the football page occasionally!).
Lance Armstrong, stripped of his 7 Tour de France titles and Olympic medals, admitted on the Oprah Winfrey show that he used prohibited performance-enhancing drugs in all of his TdF victories, and apologised. Many people have come out and attacked him, branding him all sorts from "a cheat and a liar" to "disgusting" to "****ing ******".
Whilst I don't condone what he has done, if those sweet, innocent people are telling me they have never cheated to try and win, then they are lying because it is human nature to do that, and that - to me - is disgusting.
As a result of this, members of the IOC have reportedly discussed eliminating Cycling events from the Olympics. I don't think they will, and I hope they don't because there is very little need or reason to.. But does anybody else think that it's strange, they're going to eliminate the sport that Team GB could potentially dominate in Rio? Quite convenient..
The other 'big' sport this week has been Golf. After signing a bumper deal with Nike, Rory McIlroy got off to a poor start this year; he failed to make the cut in Abu Dhabi with his new Nike-endorsed clubs, and his driving in particular was off. On the second day he even resorted to using his OLD putter and still couldn't improve.. Perhaps he is a little rusty after spending the winter swanning around with Caroline Wozniacki? I doubt the 'new clubs are useless' argument will last long!
I'm a little pressed for time this week, hence the short entry, but I'll improve for next week!
Happy reading people. =)
That'll do.
ReplyDelete