It’s been a while since I put anything up, and now is probably as good of a time as any to do something with such an eventful weekend!
Since when do:
a) Stoke win away,
b) Stoke score four goals,
c) Stoke score with four different goalscorers, and
d) Stoke be in a position to win three Premier League games on the bounce?
Excuse my cockney but, bladdy hell!
I’m just as amazed as anyone, and I’m not being fickle when I say this is why you have to stand by the manager because I've supported Mark Hughes from the start; while his ideas didn’t instantly take off, they are starting to take shape.
I know there will be more downs to come and we are currently on an up, such is the nature of football, so while we have lost just one of the last eight matches and have something to be pleased about, let’s enjoy it.
If this doesn’t epitomise an achievement Hughes has bought to Stoke though, I don’t know what does:
“I couldn't have picked my team without reflecting the excellent display by Stoke City at Villa Park. Their quality of football was a delight to watch with notable performances from Peter Crouch and Peter Odemwingie. But my man of the match was Marko Arnautovic. This lad has a lot to offer and he tortured Villa. It's great to see the Potters playing attractive football again."
[Garth Crooks in his Team of the Week, BBC Sport]
I know Crooks is from Stoke and has a soft spot for us, but our style has been evolving this season and I’ve noticed it on the rare occasions I have seen us play. I’ve said it a million times before, we can never criticise what Tony Pulis did for us, and to get there we had to do what was needed; that’s basic human survival.
But now we are more established, we have a top-rated academy in place, and starting to attract a few bigger names, the club’s ambition surpassed Pulis’ ability; a typical catch-22 of the Premier League that is being a victim of your own success.
I wouldn’t go as far as saying we’ll be pushing for European places next season, a top-10 finish is still going to be our goal for the next few years at least, and as for trophies, I’d still rather take a top-10 finish than risking it all in the cup and suffering in the league, so it’s more likely to be in 2017 we’re winning an FA Cup or similar than 2015, but it’s a long road ahead, and from what we are seeing at the moment it is a very feint shade of yellow…
Elsewhere, you must have been in outer space if you haven’t heard about a certain Mr Andre Marriner and his blunder in sending off Kieran Gibbs in place of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, despite the latter admitting it was his spectacular diving save to concede the penalty.
I’d say thank goodness he got it wrong so The Ox doesn’t lose me anymore fantasy football points, but eventually I’m sure the powers that be will restore the natural order (which tends to be me losing).
On the subject of fantasy football, I have a new idea for a rule change; Luis Suarez should not be allowed to be a captain.
Were it not for him popping out of nowhere to claim a hat-trick against Cardiff I would have been making my assault on the top of our league thank to Chelsea’s clean sheet, and goals from Lallana, Rodriguez and Barkley, but no. Why can’t I ever be the only one to have a good week?
At least Sturridge also got one, has anyone noticed how English my team looks by the way? Perhaps that is the reason for my failings..
Nevertheless it was a good win for Liverpool in the end and this season the league is really shaping up well. Even the most optimistic Arsenal fan, and yes even my auntie, must be thinking their title ambitions are over, but only a capitulation like we saw at the weekend would deny them fourth place. Otherwise, it is a final heat between Chelsea, Liverpool and City.
Funnily enough, all of that overshadows the fact that David Moyes and Manchester United won, again! Credit has to go to Wayne Rooney though because that first goal was just “unbelievable Jeff” stuff…
Even more overshadowed, Martin Demichelis scored? That’s certainly one way to silence your critics… I’m still unconvinced by him, and to be honest I’d be more than surprised if he is part of Manuel Pellegrini’s first team plans next season; there should be a seat on the subs bench with his name on it.
Speaking of which, keep an eye out at whatever match you go and watch; do players sit on the same seat on the subs bench week in, week out?
Just something to think about..
No comments:
Post a Comment